Reservations are Required for the Delta-01 Tour and can be made between 24 hours and 90 days prior to arrival. Tour reservations inside 24 hours are not available. No same day tours in the Summer season. | How to Book: The TOTAL number of slots available per tour are indicated by clicking on the Adult Ages 17+ drop down box. If there are no matches for the date you searched, you will get this message ‘NO RESULTS FOUND’. Change your dates to check other availability. If for example, the Adult drop down box states 2 slots available and the Child states 2, there are ONLY a TOTAL of 2 tours available for that time slot.
The Delta-01 guided tours will be conducted four times a day, Wednesday through Sunday through the summer season. This means that there will be no tours on Monday and Tuesday through the summer of 2021. The forty-five minute ranger-guided tour of Delta-01 takes visitors inside the secured fence and features a walkthrough of the grounds and topside support building. To protect the historic facilities and to provide for visitor safety, each tour is limited to six participants and a park ranger. To reduce the risk of spread of or exposure to COVID-19, the elevator and underground control center will not be accessible as part of the Delta-01 tour until further notice
Notice: The visitor center at Exit 131 is open as of July 1st. To protect guests and staff capacity is limited to 20 and the theater and AV exhibits have been turned off.
Notice: In keeping with the present Federal mask mandate, and with Delta-01 being a federal building, all visitors are required to wear a mask per CDC guidelines that covers the nose and mouth, fits snugly around the nose and chin with no large gaps along the sides of the face. Masks not designed to be protective, masks with ventilation valves, and face shields do not meet the requirements as set forth by the CDC.
Please read Tour Safety Restrictions below:
During the Cold War, a vast arsenal of nuclear missiles were placed in the Great Plains. Hidden in plain sight, for thirty years 1,000 missiles were kept on constant alert; hundreds remain today. The Minuteman Missile remains an iconic weapon in the American nuclear arsenal. It holds the power to destroy civilization, but is meant as a nuclear deterrent to maintain peace and prevent war.
Visit the once secret facilities where Air Force personnel controlled and maintained ten nuclear missiles, part of a force of 150 missiles located in South Dakota. Discover the Cold War events that shaped our lives and still remain through a tour of the underground control center at Delta-01. At the Delta-09 silo, view a nuclear missile which once carried a 1.2 megaton warhead.
Accessible Topside Tour Description
Learn how U.S. Air Force personnel secured and maintained a missile field at the ready inside a once restricted facility during the Cold War. The ranger-guided tour of Delta-01 takes visitors inside the secured fence and features a walkthrough of the grounds and topside support building. To protect the historic facilities and to provide for visitor safety, each tour is limited to six participants and a park ranger. This tour lasts forty-five minutes, beginning and ending at the entry gate to the Delta-01 compound. The tour is moderately strenuous and requires a quarter mile round trip walk. All tour participants must be able to walk and stand unassisted; modern seating is limited on the tour.
PLEASE NOTE: To reduce risk of exposure to COVID-19, the tour will not enter the elevator or underground control center until further notice.
Respiratory protection for staff and visitors:
- All tour participants will be encouraged to wear a cloth face covering for the duration of the tour.
- Staff and volunteers leading tours will wear a cloth face covering during the duration of the tour.
Tour Safety Restrictions
The Delta-01 tour is moderately strenuous and requires a quarter mile round trip walk to and from the Delta-01 compound. All tour participants must be able to climb two 15 foot ladders, walk, and stand unassisted. Visitors who wish to participate in the underground part of the tour must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be physically capable of climbing two 15 foot ladders unassisted. These ladders are permanently attached to the wall and are very sturdy.
- Children must be at least 40” tall, six years of age, and be able to climb the ladder unassisted. At least one adult must accompany child on Delta-01 Tour.
- Be comfortable in a small elevator in close proximity to six other adults.
- Be comfortable with heights of approximately 35 feet or about 3 stories. The elevator door is an open grate, not a solid door.
- The underground control center was not designed to accommodate the general public. It is accessed by an elevator and a ladder. In the event of an elevator failure, visitors that are underground will need to be capable of climbing the ladder for a safe and timely exit. Entering the control center also requires passing through a narrow corridor.
- Why only six per tour? Because the facility was built for nuclear war. A small elevator and tight space.
- Arrive 15 minutes early tour time to ensure you have time to walk from the parking lot to the front gate at Delta-01, where all tours start.